My goals to improve on the quilt I’ve used the past couple years were primarily a bit more fill and some shape tweaking. Shell and liner are Nobull2 from Tigoat, which is probably the best balance of weight, cost, breathability, wind/water resistance, and hand/feel that I’ve used. Dimensions are 52″ wide for almost the whole upper half to accomodate my knees-up side sleeping, tapering to 38″ at the footbox. ~73″ long. Fill weight is right at 11 oz and total weight is 16.5 oz. The aim was 30ish degrees with a couple ounces of overfill.
There’s a pretty hard curve in at the shoulders. On my previous quilt, I rarely adjusted anything. I had the drawcord pulled in so it was tight over my shoulders and left it. On this one I tried to shave some weight by just shaping the quilt that way. I also used a two piece, top-bottom design rather than one single large flat quilt with a sewn footbox. This allows for a bit more precise shape and, at least in theory, makes the quilt tend to stay on top of the user and less likely to roll off. It’s not really any more difficult than a single piece: cut out four pieces of what you want the final shape to be, cut two of those pieces in half lengthwise (this will be the bottom), sew those bottom pieces to the top pieces at the sides, and proceed as normal. Feel free to ask questions if that doesn’t make sense.
As for the colors, lets just say I was out of black thread, rolled with what I had, and it almost got much more out of hand than this (think dangerously close to a quilt in the more traditional sense).
The last big project for the winter will be a ‘mid. Stay tuned.